Pair work speaking
Discuss with a partner: What was the last book you read, and why?
Report to class which book your partner last read and why.
- Brainstorm: What genres in fiction are there? Make a list.
- Now complete this table– add a description of the genre and note what kind of reader you think the genre would most appeal to, and if you like that genre.
|Genre||Description||Type of reader||Your opinion|
- Compare your table with your partner(s). Are there any differences?
- Now check this text about genres – are they similar to your list?
Discuss these questions with a partner, then in a small group and then as a class.
- Why is reading important?
- What are the positive effects of reading?
- What are the most popular genres with teenage readers? Why?
- How can teenagers be persuaded to read more, or is it too late?
Read this blog entry about reading. Do you agree with the author? Why? Why not? Which are the strongest and weakest arguments? Why?